I am trying to figure out the best way of sharing personal + family adventures without uploading them all to a place like Facebook or Instagram (I don’t trust them, nor want to help them be successful). Here is my current workaround in how I am going to use Flickr:
- Upload all images snapped on my Pixel 3 to Flickr
- Organize Flickr Photo albums based on experiences (personal experience, Empathy Lab experiences, etc.)
- Create a placeholder image to share on social media (Twitter = yes, Facebook/Instagram = maybe, LinkedIn = yes) that links back to my personal blog post + Flickr album
- Give people a few view of experiences (the long beautiful story) versus a partial Instagram view
- Lock down private photos (kids photos, intimate photos, racy photos, etc.) and allow people to ask for permission.
Why Flickr versus Google Photos?
- Flickr currently allows for on-image commenting
- Flickr has better friends, family, public, private controls
- I don’t really want to give Google any more attention or reason to sell me more stuff
- Flickr is MADE for photos and is now owned by SmugMug
- I have a PRO account and want to put it to use
- I’ve always LOVED Flickr (I am old school cool…)
Find me on Flickr! I have quite a few public photos and many photos not available to the general public. Now that I am putting this out there, I will probably start curating my sets a bit more. If you are on Flickr, please let me know and I will check you out.